Wednesday, September 3, 2014

What I Eat


I've gotten a few requests for info on what my nutritionist (Emily) taught me, so here it is!

Emily had me following a diabetic plan. I'm pre diabetic so she wanted my blood sugar to be lower. Following this plan helped me to realize what I was eating and that a lot of it was protein and starches. She taught me to eat all food groups at each meal and gave me a poster that I keep on my fridge (see pictures below). At first it was hard to get each food group in, but it became easier. At first Emily just wanted me to get all my food groups in. Once I got into the habit of doing that, then I worked on portion control. 

What also helps me is to keep snacks in my drawer at work. This made me cut down on eating at the work café and skipping breakfast. I have a bad habit of skipping breakfast occasionally. In my drawer I usually have applesauce or fruit cups, fiber one bars, small bagels, chocolate pudding cups (for when I need something sweet), and peanut butter (or almond butter).

Also, Emily wanted me working out at least 3 times a week and told me that after 20 minutes is when you start burning fat. I definitely know that's true because once I started working out 4 times a week for at least 30 minutes, that's when I started noticing myself getting slimmer. I haven't lost pounds, but I'm losing inches. Remember that it's better to measure yourself instead of weighing if you're going to be exercising! Muscle is heavier and takes up less room in your body than fat.

My daily meals usually go like this:

Breakfast - Half a bagel with peanut or almond butter, and greek yogurt (love the Danon 80 calorie Light and Fit).
Snack - Applesauce or fruit cup
Lunch - Low fat soup (usually a non creamy tomato based soup with veggies), side of fruit, yogurt and a starch if there isn't starch in the soup.
Dinner - Small chicken breast, steamed veggies, applesauce and a cup of almond milk








No comments:

Post a Comment