Saturday, August 9, 2014

Couch to Gym!

When I met with my doctor in mid June and talked about gastric bypass surgery, he told me that he wanted me to start working out. He said 4-5 times a week and eventually work out an hour each time. I thought he was crazy and he knew I thought he was crazy lol.

I've had a gym membership from my work gym for over 4 years and I've only used it twice. I thought going there would be a good start. So, I went down after work the first day and decided to try out the elliptical machine. It was pure torture! I made it (barely) to 3 minutes. It really took me longer than 3 minutes cuz I had to stop and rest! Well I had enough of that machine and decided to walk on the treadmill instead.

The next day I rode on the recumbent bike, which was nice and easy. Later that night however, my quad muscles were so sore! I knew I had to mix up my workouts but I didn't know how.

The next night I met Coach Nick, he's an intern working at my gym. I asked him about different exercises and he went around the gym showing me different machines. It was a good workout except for the time I almost passed out!

I liked doing a little bit of everything, cardio and weights mostly. So that became my routine: 15 minutes on the treadmill and 15 minutes of weights. I made all three coaches workout with me every night :-)

Then one night the head coach was working and he said "we're going to do ten minutes on the elliptical." I told him I hated that machine but I tried it. To my surprise, I made it all 10 minutes without stopping! And this was only a week after barely making it 3 minutes!!

Needless to say, I'm pretty proud of the progress I've made. When I first started I didn't realize how out of shape I was. I knew to some extent, but being at the gym really brought it into focus. Now the stairs at work are no problem, I don't huff and puff when I get to the top. I've increased my time on the elliptical little by little. I even started adding more weights to the weight machines. It's just a start, but I am doing awesome and I'm even starting to enjoy working out.

No comments:

Post a Comment